Penn-America Group offers specialty property and casualty products designed for small businesses through a select network of wholesale general agents with specific binding authority. Its insurance companies hold admitted licenses and surplus lines qualifications in all 50 states and D.C. Penn-America was founded in 1975 and has offices in Philadelphia, Atlanta and Los Angeles. Penn-America Group is a Member of Global Indemnity plc.
We are currently seeking an Underwriter in our Small Business Unit. This individual will work from a home office and manage an assigned territory of wholesale managing general agents in the North East. The position can be based in multiple locations.
· Review, price, and manage renewal business (multi line with an emphasis on general liability and property) in accordance with company guidelines
· Select, price, quote, and decline new business in accordance with company underwriting
guidelines and experienced, underwriting judgment
· Respond to endorsement requests from existing accounts
· Provide 24 hour response time on new business submissions and same day turn-around
on phone calls and emails
· Work collaboratively with other Underwriters in the Unit to maintain 24 hour response time on new submissions.
· Travel regularly to assigned agents
· Develop and maintain collaborative business relationships with appointed agents to foster the generation of profitable business
· Accountability for the production and loss ratio performance of assigned agents
· Educate agents on Penn-America Group products and underwriting systems
· 7-10 years Property and Casualty Underwriting experience required; experience underwriting Excess and Surplus lines strongly preferred
· Experience working with wholesale brokers preferred
· Overnight travel within territory to meet with brokers will be required (approximately 10-20%); the ability to efficiently plan/manage agency visits and travel time will be essential
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required; The ability to market Penn-America products to agents is essential
· Excellent analytical skills required
· Excellent organizational and time management skills required
· The ability to work collaboratively in a team with other underwriters will be needed
· The achievement or current progress towards insurance designations (CPCU, AU, ETC.) is a plus
· Insurance rating experience is plus
· Strong computer skills are a necessity. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook)